BOARD OF FIRE COMMISSION
December 13, 2010
Present: Chairman David Simko, Leroy Goff, Dean Michelson, Richard Brown and Richard Dufour
Others Present: Chief Stephen Palmer, Fire Marshal Phil Visintainer, Charles Spakowski, Paul Owen, Marty Swan, Rich Klotzbier and Hunt Voelker.
Chairman Simko called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. at Company #1 on Barton Hill Road.
Approval of Minutes:
A motion was made by Richard Brown and seconded by Dean Michelson to accept the minutes of the November Regular meeting minutes as presented. Vote 5-0 approved.
- Communications: None.
- Public Remarks: Marty Swan spoke regarding items addressed at the Department’s annual meeting.
- Fire Marshal Phil Visintainer’s Report: The Fire Marshal’s report is attached and made part of these minutes.
- Fire Chief Stephen Palmer’s Report: The Chief’s report is attached and made part of these minutes.
- Appointment of New Fire Marshal – Chairman Simko stated that Rich Klotzbier has been working as the Deputy Fire Marshal. It is the Commissions job to appoint the Fire Marshal. A brief discussion was held and questions were asked of the Deputy Fire Marshal.
A motion was made by Richard. Brown and seconded by Leroy Goff to appoint Rich Klotzbier to the position Fire Marshal. Vote 5-0 in favor.
- Deputy Fire Marshal – Rich Klotzbier gave an annual update of the activities the safety trailer attended and Joe Guest has donated his time, storage and equipment to move the trailer. A letter appreciation will be sent by the Commission.
A discussion was also held regarding the position of Deputy Fire Marshal.
A motion was made by Richard Brown and seconded by Dean Michelson to appoint Phil Visintainer to the position of Deputy Fire Marshal. Vote 5-0 in favor.
- wards & Tax Abatement Programs – Chairman Simko stated that he was asked by some of the membership regarding what was necessary to qualify for the programs. Chairman Simko reviewed how a members’ attendance is figured. A brief discussion was held.
- Budget – Chairman Simko reviewed the capital items that were approved for the 2010-2011 fiscal year and the current standing. A discussion was held on the status of the various projects and items. Chairman Simko also reviewed the items that he would like to see requested in next years 2011-2012 capital budget request. Among the possibilities are radios for the department, a gator with trailer to assist with rescue responses, Jaws of Life, an exhaust system for Company #2, generators and to renovate the kitchen at company 1. Chairman Simko stated that he will have more information at the next meeting.
Chairman Simko would also like to meet with the Chief’s and the company Captain’s after the first of the year to do a walk through of all buildings to put a list together of repairs needed.
- Engine 2-12 –Chairman Simko asked the status of the equipment ordered. Chief Palmer stated that all items have been received.
- Reimbursement for Classes – Chairman Simko has been working on completing the necessary forms to receive reimbursement from the state for our members taking Introduction to Fire Fighting courses and Fire Fighter 1 courses. As of right now it looks like about $1,700-$1,800.
- Bylaws- Chairman Simko stated that after the Department annual meeting he heard that it was still a work in progress.
- Ambulance Meeting – Richard Brown reported that after his attendance at the ambulance board of directors meeting he didn’t feel that a donation toward the gator and the hurst tool was well received by the ambulance association, but they were willing to do a matching donation toward the purchase.
- Letter – Richard Brown suggested that a letter to the editor be written by the Commission thanking the members and auxiliary for their efforts over the past year.
A motion was made by Richard Dufour and seconded by Leroy Goff to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:45 p.m. Vote 5-0 all in favor.
Kristin A. Olzacki