MIDDLE HADDAM HISTORIC DISTRICT COMMISSION
Thursday, February 25, 2010 @ 6:30 p.m.
Location: Eaton Smith Meeting Room – East Hampton
- Call to order – Chairman Royster called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
- Roll Call / Seating of Alternates – Roll call was taken. Present were Commissioners James Royster, Douglas Mackeown and Richard Walsh, and alternate Commissioners Christopher Dart and George Coshow. Not present was Gina Ritchie, Raymond Krupa and David Kneeland. Commissioner Royster seated alternate Commissioners Christopher Dart and George Coshow.
Other Attendees: Charles Roberts, Mark Aldieri and Fred Hansen.
- Public Remarks – Items Not on Agenda – Mr. Hansen congratulated the Commission on the approval of the ordinance. Commissioner Royster commented that the new ordinance will simplify the public notice requirement.
- Public Hearings:
- Application #434, filed by Mark Aldieri, AIA, on behalf of Charles and Donna Roberts, regarding 119 Middle Haddam Road, to make a second story addition to existing garage, new roof, windows, overhead door and pergola.
Mr. Aldieri commented that the scope of work is to add a second story to the newer portion of garage with a new red cedar roof on entire roof, new windows similar in size, but updated with insulated glass and simulated panes. The wood windows consist of 5/4 wood casings. Mr. Aldieri also commented that there are presently two garage portals and only one is used for autos. The project will include one overhead carriage barn door and one of the portals will be enclosed and interior stairs will be installed for access to the second floor. Access to the first floor will be through a new pergola constructed of Azek PVC material.
Commissioner Walsh questioned if the front flashing will be in view and will consist of what type of material. Mr. Aldieri replied that if any flashing material is used, it will be copper. Commissioner Mackeown asked if the east elevation will require additional massing. Mr. Aldieri commented that he will be using the same foundation and raising it higher. Commissioner Mackeown asked if the new windows will meet fire codes regulations and Mr. Aldieri believes that they will meet code requirements.
Richard Walsh moved to approve the application as presented. The motion was seconded by Christopher Dart. Motion Carried 5-0-0.
- Approval of minutes and motions
b. Regular Meeting minutes and motions for the December 17, 2009 meeting were reviewed. The minutes were approved with one change. Section 8, paragraph g, remove “lengthy.” Commissioner Royster stated that no motion was required and that the minutes were accepted as modified.
- Other – Commissioner Royster received a letter from Commissioner Raymond Krupa regarding his resignation from the commission. Commissioner Royster indicated that he is working on filling the vacancy and that he has applications. George Coshow stated that the March 25, 2010 meeting will be his last. Commissioner Walsh commented that he is in receipt of an application to be considered at the March 25, 2010 meeting from Linda and Richard Schroth of 48 Long Hill regarding the addition of larger windows towards the rear of the house to make a sunroom.
- Expenditures – The only expenditures incurred since the last meeting were payment for legal notices and the file stamp. Commissioner Mackeown confirmed that the file stamp has been received and is being used.
e. Other – None
- Other – Implementation Table – Plan of Conservation and Development Sorted by Responsible Party dated 2/18/2010, Commissioner Royster commented that the MHHDC’s role in all cases is to assist the party with primary responsibility, and that the party with primary responsibility asks for help from the MHHDC, it will respond accordingly.
- Revisions to handbook (relative to ordinance revisions) The ordinance has been passed and it enables the MHHDC to incorporate it into the new edition of the handbook. Douglas Mackeown commented that there are changes to the key map with the new ordinance. Commissioner Royster will send out an email to other commissioners asking that they review the handbook and provide suggestions. This matter will be tabled to the next meeting.
- “Commonly asked Questions” document Douglas Mackeown has not received any input to date, and asked to carry this matter forward.
j. Christ Episcopal Church fence Commissioner Royster will have information at the next meeting. To date, he has not received any response.
10. Public Remarks – Fred Hansen commented not to get too specific in the handbook. He suggests
keeping it general and to the period of each house. Commissioner Mackeown advised that the
handbook is on the website for public review.
11. Adjournment – Christopher Dart moved to adjourn at 6:54 p.m., seconded by Richard Walsh.
Motion Carried 5-0-0.